Janel Cycling Shop
Borrego Springs Cycling Camp
January 19th – 24th, 2020
News! 3-day option has an opening due to a cancelation.
And there's still time to join us next week!
Ride, eat, recover, smile, laugh, sing. Dedicate a week to your cycling self! Climb the famed Palomar Mountain, soak in the California sun in the Anza-Borrego Desert, experience the thrill of descending the “glass elevator” Montezuma Road to the quaint town of Borrego Springs. Enjoy all of this knowing you have coaches to help you learn and grow, you’re never far from the next fully stocked aid station and pro mechanic, and when you get done with your ride, there will be a post-ride meal, recovery lounge, and optional nap awaiting you. Not to mention… an evening filled with laughs, dinner, and the night’s presentation. We may not be pro riders, but you sure will feel like one.
Only 50 spots available for 5-day riders and 10 spots available for 3-day riders. When we sell out, you’ll have to cross your fingers and get on the waiting list.
Daily distance: 60 - 100 miles
Daily elevation gain: 5,000 – 10,000 feet
Daily ride time: 4 – 8 hours
Wednesday is our all-camp recovery day where we shorten ride time to about 2 hours and enjoy the mountains by viewing them from afar. We’ll focus on active recovery on the bike and in the Backmate Recovery Lounge.
With 4 rides over 4 hours, please be realistic about matching your experience level and training with this camp. If you can ride two or three 5 hour days in a week with 4,000-10,000 feet of climbing, we have a group for you! There are 3-4 ride groups that go different paces and distances every day. And camp is appropriate for riders of all ages! We get 20-somethings to 70-somethings as well as pros to recreational cyclists. Everyone rides base pace which is riding below 75-80% of your maximum heart rate; it’s the pace where you can tell stories, sing and laugh. This camp is the ideal way to lay a foundation for a good year of cycling fitness and create memories and friendships that will last a lifetime.
You’ll receive more information such as packing tips, schedule, and routes after registration, but it’s important that you arrive at camp with a road bike that is ready to climb. For gearing I recommend a compact crank with 50/34 tooth chainrings and an 11-32 cassette. Wheels should be low-profile.
Where: Borrego Springs, CA at the Borrego Springs Resort, 1112 Tilting T Drive.
When: Sunday January 19, 2020 (5:30pm at Borrego Research Institute) - Friday January 24th.
• Fresh & delicious dinners, Sunday – Thursday.
• Post-ride meal ready after every ride, Monday – Friday.
• 5 days of coached base miles training with Janel Spilker and her team of pro riders and coaches. Ten spots for 3-day riders (Sunday evening – Wednesday afternoon).
• On-the-road support provided by pro mechanics.
• Stocked aid stations with food and hydration on our four long rides.
• Welcome bag with Janel Cycling jersey (yes!) and t-shirt plus goodies and discounts from our camp partners.
• 60-100 mile rides with 5,000-10,000 feet of climbing each day.
• Four different paced groups so you can find the right base pace for you.
• Two ride leaders per group who are experienced pros/coaches/racers to guide you on each day’s route.
• Evening workshops covering topics such as training, nutrition and recovery.
• Recovery lounge provided by Backmate including the Backmate, Power Roller and Power Massager.
• Photos by Wil Matthews to capture our smiles and adventures all week.
Cost 5-day / 3-day:
$699 September only!
$749 / $449 October-November
$799 / $499 December - January
• Due to early starts, breakfast is on your own. I’ll provide some pre-camp breakfast recommendations.
• Hotel rooms must be booked directly with the Borrego Springs Resort. See hotel information below. Rides begin at the Borrego Springs Resort every day.
• Arrive at camp with working, well-maintained bicycle.
• Be prepared on every ride wearing your helmet and with basics such as filled bottles, supplies to fix a flat or minor mechanical, cell phone and money. We will have ride food at aid stations but be sure to bring any of your favorite ride foods and start each day with food in your pockets.
• Riders must know and have experience with safe, courteous group riding etiquette.
Please note when registering:
• Register one rider at a time. After you view your cart, add the next rider. Please review our cancellation policy.
• Let me know if you have any dietary restrictions. There will be vegan and gluten free options available based on those who request those meals.
• Camp begins on Sunday evening with a welcome dinner and presentation at the Anza Borrego Research Center, 401 Tilting T Dr, Borrego Springs, CA 92004. Plan on arriving by 5pm.
• Camp concludes with post-ride meal on Friday (or post-ride meal on Wednesday if you are only doing the 3-day camp).
• Select a t-shirt and jersey size when registering. Register early to be guaranteed your size!
• Include your cell phone number in the registration process as well as an emergency contact name and phone number. We will use these for safety purposes during camp.
#BorregoCamp Kits: They are fun and a jersey is included with registration! Want the matching bibs or more kit? Order that here! To get your kit in time for camp, register for camp or place your order before Dec 5th at 5pm PT. More info here.
Getting to #BorregoCamp:
Borrego Springs, CA is a quaint unincorporated desert town of San Diego County, situated at the base of the mountains in the stunning Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. An ideal setting for winter riding, you will need to drive to get here! Borrego Springs is a 90 mile drive from the San Diego Airport (SAN) which is the most common airport to use if flying to camp; 85 miles from Palm Springs Airport (PSP); or 125 miles from Ontario Airport (ONT).
Drive: Use your favorite navigation system to direct you to camp headquarters at Borrego Springs Resort, 1112 Tilting T Drive, Borrego Springs, CA.
Hotel: Reserve your hotel room at the Borrego Springs Resort by calling 760-767-5700. To get our camp rates, mention you are with the “Borrego Springs Cycling Camp.”
King Deluxe $119*
Double Queen Deluxe $137*
Luxury King Suite $159*
*per night, plus resort fee & tax
Borrego Springs Resort, 1112 Tilting T Drive, Borrego Springs, CA 92004 borregospringsresort.com
Photos from #BorregoCamp 2017 & 2018 by Wil Matthews.
Haven't joined our email list? Please do!